Get ready to be immersed in 10 to 12 weeks of action-packed, interactive learning over your 2023 summer break. Deep dive into the dynamic world of market making and test your limits in one of the most fascinating industries. You don’t need to have prior knowledge of trading or financial markets – we’ll teach you that!
Who we are
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. For over 35 years, Optiver has been improving financial markets around the world, making them more transparent and efficient for all participants. With more than 1,600 employees in offices around the world, we’re united in our commitment to improve the market through competitive pricing, execution and thorough risk management. By providing liquidity on multiple exchanges across the world, we actively trade on 70+ exchanges, where we’re trusted to always provide accurate buy and sell pricing – no matter the market conditions.
Founded in 2021, Optiver's Singapore location is our ninth global office. As a fast-growing office, we have the feel of a start-up, but the backing of a large multinational trading firm. In Asia Pacific, Optiver was one of the first global market makers to establish a presence in the region, with the incorporation Optiver's APAC head office in Sydney in 1996. Since then, we have expanded our footprint by establishing offices in Taipei (2005), Hong Kong (2007) and Shanghai (2012).
What you'll do
As our Software Engineer Intern, you’ll take ownership of critical projects right from the start. Whether it is developing ultra-low-latency exchange protocol encoders and decoders, or fine-tuning our automated trading strategies and pricing models, your goal is to find the simplest and cleanest solution to any problem at hand.
If you enjoy a fast feedback loop and seeing the immediate impact of your work, Optiver is the place for you. You could be working on a change to a trading system in the morning and see it running live in the afternoon. Our collaborative culture means you’ll work closely with our best-in-class traders and engineers to identify and solve problems that make a tangible impact on the business.
You’ll also have the chance to join industry lectures to learn about trading, as well as our other departments, to gain a holistic understanding of Optiver and our business. And if you’ve excelled during the internship program, you may receive an offer to return and join the team as a Graduate Software Engineer.
Discover the exciting projects you could work on during your Optiver Internship.
- Read Brenda’s story on delivering low-latency, high-throughput systems that improve our connectivity to the financial market.
- Read Richard’s story on navigating the world of automated trading – systems that make trading decisions.
- Read Marcus’s story on working in the risk and treasury team, where he monitors systems that manage and mitigate risk (e.g., trading risk).
- Read Aidan’s story on working in the Compliance IT team, where he manages systems that facilitate reporting and reconciliation.
- Read Lena’s story on production engineering, where she builds tools and systems that enable us to trade smoothly.
Who you are
You’re a problem solver at heart, who won’t stop until you’ve found a solution. And then push yourself even further to improve it. In addition, you’re:
- Keen to create high-performance, low latency designs that critically impact trading success
- Curious to learn and comfortable discussing/exploring complex technical ideas
- Have a range of out-of-classroom projects or extra-curricular activities that demonstrates your passion in technology, particularly software development
- Keen to work alongside the best Developers and Traders in the industry, with the humility to continually upskill and improve yourself
- Knowledgeable about object orientated design and development concepts (experience with C++, C# or Java is required for our technical assessment)
What you'll get
- The chance to work alongside diverse, intelligent and driven peers in a rewarding environment
- We offer top of market competitive remuneration
- Corporate health insurance
- Training, mentorship and personal development opportunities
- Weekly in-house chair massages
- Daily breakfast and lunch
- Regular social events
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.
Optiver encourages Singaporean nationals to apply. Applications are open until 31 October 2022.
- A penultimate or pre-penultimate university student
- Studying a Computer Science, Software/Electrical/Mechatronic Engineering or similarly technical degree
Does this sound like the future you’re looking for? Take up the challenge and apply today!