At Optiver, we strive for excellence in everything we do. Now, we’re looking for a Data Center Engineer that shares our excellence-only mindset. Because we believe that thoughtfully planned and well-orchestrated data center infrastructure is just as important as the algorithms running on our trading software. Without best-in-class infrastructure, there would be no foundation upon which to build our global market making core business. For that reason, we are looking for a Data Center Engineer who is committed to continuous improvement and thrives bringing new ideas to the table. This is a chance to take ownership of the physical parts of our trading infrastructure across multiple data centers and thousands of servers, all the while striving for simplicity and operational excellence.
WHO WE ARE:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
WHO YOU ARE:
As our Data Center Engineer, you’ll take ownership of maintaining our co-locations and on-site data center, and can expect the following responsibilities:
- Installing and cabling switches, servers, and appliances in our on-site data center
- Taking pride in maintaining a consistent and clean cable management philosophy
- Getting equipment to and from remote colocations including packing/shipping
- Maintaining our data center documentation with potential opportunity to take ownership over this
- Facilitating the installation of servers and network equipment with smart hands across remote co-locations
- Managing power and space including monitoring and capacity planning
- Planning moves and new build-outs
- Contributing to the build and maintenance of our office infrastructure environment, such as our trading floor
- Managing our equipment inventory
- Replacing hard drives/memory/transceivers and other hardware related tasks as required by our server and network teams
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Creative problem solving skills: you will be expected to come up with solutions to problems at hand, opposed to waiting for orders
- Experience working in a modern, large-scale data center
- Strong documentation and logistics mentality
- Attention to detail, cleanliness and an appreciation for simplicity
- Ability to identify basic parts of network equipment – SFPs, line cards, chassis
- Ability to identify basic parts of servers – memory, network card, hard drives
- Knowledge of structured cabling systems using cat 5, cat 6, multi-mode and single-mode fiber
- Familiarity with both power and communications cabling standards
- Experience configuring and using cable testers for both fiber and copper to troubleshoot cabling issues
- An understanding of change control processes
WHAT YOU'LL GET:
- The chance to start your career working alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
- Our performance based bonus structure is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
Alongside this you will get great secondary benefits such as 25 paid vacation days, fully paid first-class commuting expenses, training opportunities, discounts on health insurance, breakfast and lunch facilities, sports and leisure activities, Friday afternoon drinks and even weekly in-house chair massages. Being highly international, we are accustomed to guiding expats through their relocation, offering competitive relocation packages and providing visa sponsorship where necessary.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply directly via the form below for the position of Data Center Engineer. Please provide us with a CV and letter of motivation in English. Applications without a letter of motivation will not be reviewed. When we think there is a potential match, you will hear from us sooner than you expect. If you have any questions feel free to contact our Recruiter Theo Schneider via [email protected]. Please note, we cannot accept applications via email for data protection reasons.
Please note, if you are selected from your application to proceed to the next round for the position of Data Center Engineer you will be required to take an online assessment.
Kindly note that we do not require any assistance from third-parties including agencies in the recruitment of this role.
As an intentionally flat organization, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.