Do you want to use math to predict the future? Optiver is seeking Graduate HFT Researchers to join our High Frequency Trading Team. This team is comprised of professionals in both technology and trading/research, who dedicate themselves to developing, refining, and implementing trading strategies using machine learning. As a Researcher, your focus will be on performing statistical research to create, implement and enhance algorithmic trading strategies. By joining our close-knit and collaborative group, you'll have the chance to make a direct impact on all aspects of our research and execution process.
Does the thought of making a direct, immediate impact thrill you? You may have found your next career move.
Who we are:
At Optiver, our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilizing force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates. We tackle the toughest problems, challenge the status quo and always aim for excellence. As one of the largest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 70+ exchanges across the globe.
Based in ‘The Domain’ neighborhood, Optiver’s Austin office serves as the firm’s innovation nucleus, with a strong focus on quantitative research, software and hardware engineering initiatives. With tech innovation an integral part of our core business, the booming city proved an ideal backdrop for our heavy investment into machine learning, research infrastructure and big data computing. What’s more, with world-class music, food and art scenes, as well as countless scenic outdoor activities, the quality of life for Austin Optiverians is second to none.
What you’ll do:
HFT team members are equipped with an extensive pool of proprietary data. Using this data, they craft state-of-the-art statistical models to forecast future prices and formulate tactics to execute trades optimally in rapidly changing scenarios. In essence, our HFT roles will be in charge of constructing and upholding the models that propel our trading.
- Conduct research and analysis on high frequency trading strategies, market microstructure, and financial instruments to identify trading opportunities
- Design and implement algorithmic trading models to optimize trade execution and profitability
- Develop statistical models and machine learning algorithms to predict market behavior and analyze trading performance
- Utilize big data technologies and tools to collect, process and analyze large volumes of market data
- Collaborate with traders and other team members to identify areas of improvement and enhance trading performance
Who you are:
- Graduating with a PhD in a quantitative field (e.g. math, statistics, computer science, physics, or a related program)
- Have an expected graduation date between December 2023 and June 2024 (spring and fall 2024 start dates available)
- Possess superior analytical, statistical and mathematical skills
- Passionate for utilizing machine learning algorithms and statistical modeling techniques towards solving real-world, complex problems
- Interested in strategic games and/or competitive activities
- Proficient in Python
What you’ll get:
- Training, mentorship and continuous learning and development opportunities
- Work alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries
- Performance based bonus structure that is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
- Ownership over initiatives that directly solve business problems.
Additionally, you will get great other benefits such as 25 paid vacation days and market holidays, fully paid health insurance, daily breakfast and lunch, training opportunities, 401(k) match up to 50% and charitable match opportunities, regular social events and clubs and much more!
*We accept one application per role per year. If you have previously applied to this position during this season and have been unsuccessful, you can reapply once the next recruitment season begins in 2024.
At Optiver, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. Optiver recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or other legally protected characteristics.