Hardware Engineers at Optiver build hardware-based trading systems ranging from low latency algorithms to high bandwidth computation. They are responsible for owning all aspects of the development process from ideation to implementation creating bespoke solutions to our complex trading problems. Their systems have little room for failure which add to the stability of the market, not detract from it. Working in close collaboration with software engineers and traders, hardware engineers deeply understand our trading problems and create dynamic, well-architected systems that make an impact in a matter of days and weeks rather than months and years.
Technology at Optiver:
At Optiver we pride ourselves on being real engineers, not just coders. Our engineers work closely with traders to identify the business problems we face and determine how they should be solved. We apply a disciplined and scientific approach. We engineer simple, well-architected solutions that meet the dynamic needs of our traders. Our passion is to solve problems which really matter to the business, and we take pride in the quality of our solutions.
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 70+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Optiver Chicago’s culture parallels the energetic city we’re immersed in. Home to the Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago Board Options Exchange, and Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Chicago has established itself as the trading capital of the US. Active on leading US exchanges, Optiver’s Chicago office trades a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange
What you’ll do:
- Accelerate network infrastructure and trading system components with high speed hardware designs.
- Research new low-latency techniques and platforms and identify opportunities for integration with our trading system.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team of traders, software developers, and infrastructure engineers.
- Leverage the best hardware available or build in-house versions to ensure our FPGAs can interface with cutting edge server hardware.
- Manage relationships with 3rd party vendors.
What you'll need:
- A Bachelor’s degree in CE, EE, CS, or related technical field.
- Experience designing, coding, testing, and verifying FPGAs and/or ASICs.
- Experience coding in VHDL, Verilog, SystemVerilog as well as C or C++.
- Experience with RTL synthesis, writing timing, area, and other relevant constraints.
- Experience with digital simulators and self-checking test benches.
- Experience supporting post-silicon bring-up and debugging a plus.
- Ability to work closely with software developers to rapidly deliver integrated systems.
What you’ll get:
- Work alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
- Performance based bonus structure that is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
- Ownership over initiatives that directly solve business problems.
Alongside this you will get great other benefits such as 25 paid vacation days and market holidays, fully paid commuting expenses and health insurance, daily breakfast and lunch, training opportunities, 401(k) match up to 50% and charitable match opportunities, regular social events and clubs, and many more.
At Optiver, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. Optiver recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or other legally protected characteristics.