From its Commodities headquarters in London, Optiver is seeking an experienced Power Trader to lead / assist in the build out of a new desk trading US Power markets. This is a true greenfield site opportunity with strong financial backing and the potential to have significant impact in the firm. To excel, you will have access to world class trading tech and be supported by top talent globally. You will be granted freedom to steer the growth of the business and work within Optiver’s renowned highly collaborative environment.
For the right candidate we are open to alternative base locations.
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by providing liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
As one of the world’s major financial centres, London was selected as the home of Optiver’s FX trading business, our UK-focused Institutional Trading Team and rapidly growing Commodities trading arm. Optiver UK is located in a city that bridges European, Asian and American time zones, connecting our regional offices and embracing a truly global mindset. London is one of the most diverse cities in the world, and is home to some of the best museums, a thriving international restaurant scene and bustling high streets that attract people from all over the globe.
What you’ll do:
Set up a US power trading operation in exchange-listed power products.
This will include:
– Building trading strategies in US power markets
– Building or guiding the development of models and other analytics
– Working with other departments to build adequate risk management frameworks or execution algorithms
– Collaborating with existing trading desks to leverage Optiver infrastructure
– Helping hire the right talent to expand the team: traders, analysts, researchers
– Training junior traders that join the desk
Who you are:
– Proven experience trading US power (exchange listed products).
– Deep understanding and interest into the fundamentals of US and global energy markets
– Experience working with power and gas models
– Understanding of the competitive landscape and players of the US energy markets
– Entrepreneurial spirit and interest in building a trading business
– A track record in risk-taking and risk management
– Data analysis skills
– Familiar with weather data and models
– Interest in mentorship and training of junior traders
What you’ll get:
At Optiver UK, you will be part of a well-established and high-performing global firm whilst experiencing the excitement that comes from a growing operation. As our London operations grow, the opportunity to make a global impact and take your career to a new level expands with it. We offer a supportive environment for you to perform at your best. Some of our key benefits
- Competitive remuneration via our performance based bonus structure. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
- 27 paid vacation days (plus UK public holidays)
- Daily onsite breakfast and lunch
- Paid commuting expenses (home to office)
- 50% paid gym subscription
- Private medical insurance
- Pension scheme
- Training, conference attendance and continuous learning opportunities
- International transfer opportunities
How to apply:
Apply directly via the form below and please provide us with a CV in English. Should there be a potential match, a member of our team will reach out sooner rather than later. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to [email protected].
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.