Optiver’s industry-leading proprietary trading systems depend on reliable and scalable networks to allow our traders and engineers to communicate to help us support the financial markets. From day one, you’ll play a key role on our Network Engineering team and will focus on the build and growth, daily operations, troubleshooting and monitoring of our globally distributed network. If you’re looking to work in a challenging international environment and have a passion for solving problems, then you could be the Network Engineer we’re looking for.
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilizing force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Optiver Chicago’s culture parallels the energetic city we’re immersed in. Home to the Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago Board Options Exchange, and Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Chicago has established itself as the trading capital of the US. Active on leading US exchanges, Optiver’s Chicago office trades a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
What you’ll do:
Optiver’s enterprise networks can be the difference between our traders, users and engineers being able to perform at the best of their ability or not. Optiver’s bespoke infrastructure requires diverse network engineering experience, from low-latency, data center and WAN/LAN technologies to enterprise security and wireless connectivity.
- Deploy, monitor, troubleshoot and manage our network infrastructure
- Develop our connectivity between our international offices and advise on data center design
- Develop an enterprise network architecture to support engineers and users that connect to our systems (including via VPN devices)
- Upgrade our network backbone to higher bandwidth
- Develop our LAN network and plan out Wi-Fi Access Points
- Identify, recommend and implement network system optimizations
- Assist with planned maintenances (migrations, expansions, hardware and software upgrades)
- Provide technical expertise and support to a high frequency trading floor in a competitive market-making environment
- Contribute to capacity planning and traffic flow optimization
- Help push us towards intelligent automation
- Tackle technical debt while removing complexity
Who you are:
- Experience designing, implementing and supporting networks using L1/L2/L3 networks and technologies
- Strong network and performance monitoring skills and knowledge of network capacity planning
- Experience working across LAN and global WAN networks
- Cisco and Arista network equipment experience preferred
- Experience troubleshooting network transport protocols – TCP/UDP
- Deep understanding and experience with routing protocols (such as OSPF, BGP) and network protocols (such as Multicast, Spanning Tree, HSRP)
- Network Automation experience with strong Python scripting experience preferred
- Networking monitoring and alerting systems experience
- A belief that good documentation helps successful project delivery
- A drive for improvement and motivation to push through friction
What you’ll get:
- Work alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries
- Performance based bonus structure that is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in
- Ownership over initiatives that directly solve business problems
Alongside this, you will get great other benefits, such as 25 paid vacation days and market holidays, fully-paid commuting expenses and health insurance, daily breakfast and lunch, training opportunities, 401(k) match up to 50% and charitable match opportunities, regular social events and clubs, and many more.