Optiver’s industry-leading proprietary trading systems depend on reliable and scalable networks to power our trading activities on financial exchanges around the world. As a Low Latency Network Engineer, your job is to ensure Optiver has the fast connectivity and physical infrastructure to allow our traders and engineers to get market data accurately and quickly, making a direct impact to our business.
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilizing force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Optiver Chicago’s culture parallels the energetic city we’re immersed in. Home to the Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago Board Options Exchange, and Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Chicago has established itself as the trading capital of the US. Active on leading US exchanges, Optiver’s Chicago office trades a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
What you’ll do:
Optiver’s bespoke trading infrastructure requires diverse network engineering experience. From low-latency, network automation and WAN technologies to data center and colocation design, you’ll l work on critical projects that will help us scale our trading business:
- Deploy, monitor, troubleshoot and manage our network infrastructure
- Work on designing new colocations and improving connectivity in existing colocations as well as our Data Center network
- Identify, recommend and implement network system optimizations and focus on network solutions that provide fast information
- Assist with planned maintenances (migrations, expansions, hardware and software upgrades)
- Provide technical expertise and support to a high frequency trading floor in a competitive market-making environment
- Ensure all aspects of our WAN network link together across our global data center presence
- Contribute to capacity planning and traffic flow optimization
- Help push us towards intelligent automation
- Tackle technical debt while removing complexity
Who you are:
- Strong low-latency networking experience with a focus on exchange connectivity, taps and aggregation
- Strong network and performance monitoring skills and knowledge of network capacity planning
- Experience working across LAN and global WAN networks
- Cisco and Arista network equipment experience preferred
- Experience troubleshooting network transport protocols – TCP/UDP
- Deep understanding and experience with routing protocols (such as OSPF, BGP) and network protocols (such as Multicast, Spanning Tree, HSRP)
- Network automation experience with strong Python scripting experience preferred
- Networking monitoring and alerting systems experience
- A belief that good documentation helps successful project delivery
- A drive for improvement and motivation to push through friction
What you’ll get:
- Work alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries
- Performance based bonus structure that is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in
- Ownership over initiatives that directly solve business problems
Alongside this, you will get great other benefits, such as 25 paid vacation days and market holidays, fully-paid commuting expenses and health insurance, daily breakfast and lunch, training opportunities, 401(k) match up to 50% and charitable match opportunities, regular social events and clubs, and many more.
At Optiver, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. Optiver recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or other legally protected characteristics.