WHO WE ARE
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. For over 35 years, Optiver has been improving financial markets around the world, making them more transparent and efficient for all participants. With more than 1,600 employees in offices around the world, we’re united in our commitment to improve the market through competitive pricing, execution and thorough risk management. By providing liquidity on multiple exchanges across the world, we actively trade on 70+ exchanges, where we’re trusted to always provide accurate buy and sell pricing – no matter the market conditions.
Optiver’s Sydney office is one of the primary players within Asian markets, trading a range of products. Established in 1996, we're an active participant on the Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Japan exchanges, and act as Optiver’s APAC head office.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
In this role, you'll get to work on our industry-forward execution platform. Our execution platform is responsible for placing orders from auto-trading systems with as low a latency as possible, implementing risk boundary checks, order management and exchange connectivity. Every day, our trading platform processes huge volumes of data and makes thousands of trades. Our engineers ensure that it does so in a safe, consistent, and timely manner. We're looking for quality engineers who can create architectures that balance latency, accuracy, risk and time to market, to ensure we have Asia Pacific’s best order execution platform.
As a Team Lead, you'll be responsible for setting architectural direction for parts of our trading system, owning large projects that push the success of our trading platform, being hands-on and delivering large bodies of well-engineered code, and mentoring junior Engineers. You'll take ownership of your projects, from ideation through to deployment, and will collaborate closely with our Trading department along the way. Most importantly, you'll get to see the impact of your work every day.
Other responsibilities include:
- Implement and/or build solutions to enable our low latency trading and help Optiver retain its leading status in the market.
- Set the architectural direction for parts of our trading system and take responsibility for the delivery of large, cross-functional projects.
- Own the design, development and deployment of services that comprise our globally distributed trading platform.
- Build partnerships across the business to ensure we're feeding the best ideas into our solutions.
- Manage deployments to reduce risk and provide production support, where required.
- Help ensure quality is maintained throughout our systems, including via code reviews.
- Contribute to our never-ending goal of continuous improvement, by providing feedback and ideas on where our systems and controls can be improved.
- Be a role model for, and mentor, junior Engineers.
WHO YOU ARE
Optiver needs our next Software Engineer to be someone with:
- Extensive experience with OO programming in at least one of C/C++, Java, C#, Rust or golang.
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, like operating systems, data structures and algorithms.
- Familiar with a scripting language, such as Python or Ruby.
- Understanding of computer networks and protocols (TCP/IP/UDP).
- Experience guiding projects technically or as a people manager is highly preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- The chance to work alongside diverse and intelligent peers in a rewarding environment
- Competitive remuneration, including an attractive bonus structure and additional leave entitlements
- Training, mentorship and personal development opportunities
- Gym membership plus weekly in-house chair massages
- Daily breakfast, lunch and an in-house barista
- Regular social events including an annual company trip
- A work-from-home allowance and support
- Guided relocation, a competitive relocation package and visa sponsorship where necessary.
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.