How does Optiver accurately price hundreds of thousands of interconnected financial products in real-time? In one word: data. Data science is at the very core of Optiver’s pricing strategies. Our Data Science teams tackle fascinating challenges that exist at the intersection of technology and trading – a space with some of the most complex and exciting volumes of financial market data. With world-class skills that can cut through the noise, Optiver's Data Science teams directly impact the precision and scalability of our 35+ year trading business.
WHO WE ARE:
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Data Scientists and Data Analysts work closely with Traders to analyse and improve all facets of our trading strategies. During this internship, you will perform extensive data analysis in order to implement new algorithms that support and improve our existing models, strategies and datasets. You'll be exposed to the statistical arbitrage strategies we develop; work with petabytes of market and Optiver internal data; experience our high-powered, computing back-testing and ETL frameworks and much more. Optiver Researchers believe in academic discourse, and therefore invite their teammates and Traders to challenge each hypothesis. Can it be mathematically improved? Does it pose potential risk? Does it exploit a market behavioral pattern? Can it sustain its output goals? Constant testing, analysis, refinement and innovation ensure our models and strategies remain at the cutting-edge of constantly evolving capital markets – and as our Data Science Intern, you'll play a key role in keeping us there.
WHO YOU ARE:
In terms of skills and qualifications, we're looking for:
- Penultimate year student with very strong grades in Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Finance or equivalent, with ability to work full-time upon graduation in 2024
- Programming experience in any language (C, C++, Python, JAVA, etc.), ideally with a preference towards Python
- Affinity with data and data-processing systems. Knowledge of SQL is a plus
- Ability to apply basic concepts of probability, calculus and linear algebra
- Ability to carry a project on your own in a structured way within a short timeframe
- Competitive attitude and eagerness to constantly improve yourself
- Self-starting, ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to learn quickly
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
- The chance to start your career working alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
- An 8 -9 week internship (1st July-1st September 2023) working alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries
- Competitive salary
- Fully furnished apartment in the city center of Amsterdam
- Awesome social events and outings
- Free breakfast, lunch and dinner provided at Optiver, bi-weekly massages & a bicycle to explore Amsterdam
- Most importantly, the possibility to receive a full-time offer upon completion of internship
HOW TO APPLY & LOCAL PRIVACY STATEMENT
Are you interested in furthering your career on one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe?
Apply directly via the form below for the position of Data Science Intern. Please provide us with a CV and letter of motivation in English. Applications without a letter of motivation will not be reviewed. When we think there is a potential match, you will hear from us sooner than you expect. If you have any questions feel free to contact our Recruiter Rachael Thompson via [email protected]
Please note, if you are selected from your application to proceed to the next round for the position of Data Science Intern, you will be required to take an online assessment.
Following your assessments the next steps will be:
- Remote HR Interview
- Remote Technical Interview
- Take home programming assignment
- Remote final Interview day (both technical and not technical interviews)
Kindly note that we do not require any assistance from third-parties including agencies in the recruitment of this role
Please note only students currently situated in and studying at a university in Europe, UK or the Americas will be considered for this application
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.
*We accept one application per role, per year. If you have applied to this role across any of our offices in the last year and have been unsuccessful, you can reapply once your 12 month cooling period has concluded.