An exciting opportunity now exists for a self-motivated, ambitious 10-12 years PQE Singapore qualified lawyer to join the growing team at Optiver Singapore as the organisation expands and the team’s involvement in all facets of the business develops.
WHO WE ARE:
Optiver is a proprietary trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates. Optiver’s APAC operations are headquartered in Sydney and support trading activities in Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China. Optiver is proud of its unique organisational culture, which is simultaneously low on formality and bureaucracy and highly focused on performance and innovation.
Founded in 2021, Optiver's Singapore location is our ninth global office. As a fast-growing office, we have the feel of a start-up, but the backing of a large multinational trading firm. In Asia Pacific, Optiver was one of the first global market makers to establish a presence in the region, with the incorporation Optiver's APAC head office in Sydney in 1996. Since then, we have expanded our footprint by establishing offices in Taipei (2005), Hong Kong (2007) and Shanghai (2012).
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
In this role, you will work closely with the Managing Director of Singapore and the Legal team based in Sydney to:
- support new business initiatives primarily in support of the derivatives/ETF Trading activities, specifically the review, drafting and negotiation of market infrastructure (broker/clearing agreements )and management of legal risk with respect to the onboarding of new counterparties, such as clearers and brokers
- review, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts including software contracts, IT supply contracts and market data contracts on behalf of various group companies in APAC
- provide general corporate and commercial advice to the Managing Director and local management in the day to day running of the business, including issues relating to IP, information security, data management/privacy etc
- work with other control functions in Singapore to support and develop first and second line of defence risk management strategies
- develop and maintain standard agreements and checklists
- support the APAC General Counsel and Legal team in its enhancement of the Legal Function, notably improving its legal assurance processes including developing contract lifecycle management systems, verifying the control frameworks and risk reporting
- monitor and advise on relevant legislative and regulatory changes in Singapore
- manage the externalization of legal services in Singapore via law firm engagement
WHO YOU ARE:
- a Singapore qualified lawyer with a financial markets and preferably derivatives background
- As the sole legal practitioner in Singapore you will have the experience and maturity to handle a broad range of financial, corporate and commercial legal topics with senior stakeholders both locally and offshore but also a desire to grow with this new role
- At least 10 years’ experience in a top tier law firm and/or in-house
- strong interest in legal problem solving and using technology to create solutions
- excellent communication skills
- agility and willingness to adapt to the needs of a rapidly expanding business
- interest in financial markets and or trading
- eagerness to learn; questioning disposition; attention to detail
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
If you are up to this challenge please apply now; you’ll find yourself solving dynamic, stimulating problems in an energetic and driven team. On top of this we offer:
- The chance to work alongside diverse, intelligent, and driven peers in a rewarding environment
- Competitive remuneration, including an attractive bonus structure and additional leave entitlements
- Training, mentorship and personal development opportunities
- Daily lunch
- Regular social events including an annual company trip
- A work-from-home allowance and support
Our flat structure makes it easier to get things done. Everyone is empowered to deliver significant changes, supported by your team and your leaders. We value people who are committed to always delivering their best work, so we give people the autonomy to deliver solutions and direct their own career.
Optiver encourages Singaporean nationals to apply.