Deeply passionate about technology and its application in the trading business? Keen to make a tangible impact right from the start? Come work alongside the world's brightest engineers and traders to build and maintain industry-leading proprietary trading systems that constantly improve the financial market.
Ready to accelerate your growth in one of the most fascinating and dynamic industries? Join the Optiver team. You don’t need to have any prior knowledge of trading or financial markets – we’ll teach you that!
Who we are
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. For over 35 years, Optiver has been improving financial markets around the world, making them more transparent and efficient for all participants. With more than 1,600 employees in offices around the world, we’re united in our commitment to improve the market through competitive pricing, execution and thorough risk management. By providing liquidity on multiple exchanges across the world, we actively trade on 70+ exchanges, where we’re trusted to always provide accurate buy and sell pricing – no matter the market conditions.
Founded in 2021, Optiver's Singapore location is our ninth global office. As a fast-growing office, we have the feel of a start-up, but the backing of a large multinational trading firm. In Asia Pacific, Optiver was one of the first global market makers to establish a presence in the region, with the incorporation Optiver's APAC head office in Sydney in 1996. Since then, we have expanded our footprint by establishing offices in Taipei (2005), Hong Kong (2007) and Shanghai (2012).
What you'll do
As our Graduate Software Engineer, you’ll begin the first 5 weeks of your training program in our APAC HQ in Sydney, where you’ll learn the foundations of everything that you need to know – ranging from theoretical knowledge to practical, hands-on experience.
Once you’ve completed your training, you’ll then get to take ownership of projects that directly impact Optiver’s world-class trading systems. Whether it is developing ultra-low-latency exchange protocol encoders and decoders, or fine-tuning our automated trading strategies and pricing models, your goal is to find the simplest and cleanest solution to any problem at hand.
If you enjoy a fast feedback loop and seeing the immediate impact of your work, Optiver is the place for you. You could be working on a change to a trading system in the morning and see it running live in the afternoon. Our collaborative culture means you’ll work closely with our best-in-class traders and engineers to identify and solve problems that make a tangible impact on the business.
Discover the exciting projects you could work on in the Graduate program. Hear first-hand from some of our recent graduates:
- Read Brenda’s story on delivering low-latency, high-throughput systems that improve our connectivity to the financial market.
- Read Richard’s story on navigating the world of automated trading – systems that make trading decisions.
- Read Marcus’s story on working in the risk and treasury team, where he monitors systems that manage and mitigate risk (e.g., trading risk).
- Read Aidan’s story on working in the Compliance IT team, where he manages systems that facilitate reporting and reconciliation.
- Read Lena’s story on production engineering, where she builds tools and systems that enable us to trade smoothly.
Who you are
You’re a problem solver at heart, who won’t stop until you’ve found a solution. And then push yourself even further to improve it. In addition, you’re:
- Keen to create high-performance, low latency designs that critically impact trading success
- Curious to learn and comfortable discussing/exploring complex technical ideas
- Have a range of out-of-classroom projects or extra-curricular activities that demonstrates your passion in technology, particularly software development
- Keen to work alongside the best Developers and Traders in the industry, with the humility to continually upskill and improve yourself
- Knowledgeable about object orientated design and development concepts (experience with C++, C# or Java is required for our technical assessment)
What you'll get
- The chance to work alongside diverse, intelligent and driven peers in a rewarding environment
- We offer competitive remuneration, including: an attractive bonus structure and additional leave entitlements
- Corporate health insurance
- Training, mentorship and personal development opportunities
- Weekly in-house chair massages
- Daily breakfast and lunch
- Regular social events including an annual company trip
- A work-from-home allowance and support.
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.
Optiver encourages Singaporean nationals to apply. Applications are open until 31 October 2022.
- A final year university student or recent graduate
- Studying a Computer Science, Software/Electrical/Mechatronic Engineering or similarly technical degree
Does this sound like the future you’re looking for? Take up the challenge and apply today!