Are you interested in what shapes markets? How flow can drive prices? How teams perform well versus poorly? Are you interested in finding and using data to provide quantitative answers to these questions? If you answered yes to any of these questions you may be a perfect fit for our Trading Analyst role.
We’re looking for someone motivated and pragmatic to join a team of traders and researchers and work on the problems they face each day, collaborating with them to analyze and build tools to problem solve. The successful candidate will have ample autonomy and will be part of building a new and exciting Trading Analysis team at Optiver. You will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on our trading and position taking on a daily basis, as well as finding the space for your skills and career to grow.
WHO WE ARE:
Optiver’s Sydney office is one of the primary players within Asian markets, trading a range of products. As an active participant on the Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, and Japan exchanges, we act as Optiver’s APAC head office. Since 1996, our Sydney location has gone from five traders to more than 300 driven, dedicated team members from all over the world. Set against the backdrop of one of the world’s most livable cities, life at Optiver Sydney offers unlimited access to world-class activities. We’re surrounded by a plethora of bars, restaurants, cafes, shops, gyms and more. And with picturesque beaches and national parks right on our doorstep, there’s always something new to discover.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
The role of the Senior Trading Analyst is to provide innovative, analytical solutions to facilitate the trading team’s reflection and assessment of trading decisions and performance to build future success. You will be working directly on the trading floor, working closely with a variety of traders across multiple teams and levels of experience. You will be converting complex quantitative problems involving mathematics and trading strategies into a digestible format accessible for a range of stakeholders. Innovation, organisation, and an ability to think outside the box will be part of your everyday job. From day one you will be working on ways to help improve our trading including:
- Working with cutting edge in-house software to provide innovative solutions/support for real-time trading strategies and results
- Build tools, conduct analysis, and lead projects that take your team’s trading strategies to the next level
- Work with leading traders, technologists, and researchers throughout the company (domestically and abroad) to optimise data visualisation and trading performance across a variety of trading teams for all the world’s most competitive markets
- Continually look for ways to improve and provide key analysis in a dynamic, fast-paced trading environment
- Providing usable summaries/reports which will be used by the wider trading team to reflect on past performance and build future success
WHO YOU ARE:
- 2+ years’ experience in an equivalent role (analyst, researcher, data scientist)
- A strong quantitative background (a degree in math, science, technology, actuarial studies or finance)
- A demonstrated passion for trading
- Proficient in Excel/VBA and Python
- Great attention to detail and strong numerical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
- The chance to work alongside diverse, intelligent, and driven peers in a rewarding environment
- Competitive remuneration, including an attractive bonus structure and additional leave entitlements
- Training, mentorship, and personal development opportunities
- Gym membership plus weekly in-house chair massages
- Daily breakfast and lunch facilities
- Regular social events including an annual company trip
- A work-from-home allowance and support
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued, and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.