Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 70+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Optiver Chicago’s culture parallels the energetic city we’re immersed in. Home to the Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago Board Options Exchange, and Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Chicago has established itself as the trading capital of the US. Active on leading US exchanges, Optiver’s Chicago office trades a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
What you’ll do:
The DevOps Team designs and develops custom software tools to support the needs and processes of Optiver's engineering teams including: Site Reliability, Linux, Windows, and the Network operations teams. We are key drivers of our principled operational culture, and use our technical expertise to influence design decisions for the entirety of our operations infrastructure. We work on a broad spectrum of problems across the entire stack, designing and creating custom solutions from the ground up.
Additionally, we work closely with development and operations teams to identify the business problems we face, and we build the tooling and infrastructure to overcome these challenges. We apply a disciplined and principled approach to operations engineering, creating simple and robust solutions that meet the dynamic needs of our production environment. We solve problems which really matter to the business, and take pride in the quality of our solutions.
You can expect to:
- Design, build, and maintain the tooling used by operations team to deploy, monitor, and configure our production environment
- Provide DevOps expertise to development, operations, and trading teams
- Establish and implement configuration and interoperability standards across trading applications
- Build infrastructure to monitor the health and stability of the production trading environment
- Create tooling and infrastructure to support AWS cloud computing environments
- Ensure new and existing programs adhere to our coding, architectural, and operational standards
- Thoughtfully decide when to build and when to buy
- Establish vision and technical direction for major operations initiatives
- Track and solve issues as part of a fast-paced and results driven IT team
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or related technical field
- Have an expected graduation date between December 2022 and June 2023
- Strong experience with programming (Python preferred)
- Broad understanding of the full stack, including networks, hardware, OS, databases, web servers, and applications
- Operations engineering experience a plus
- Knowledge of the trading and finance industries is not required
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we will not sponsor individuals for employment authorization for this job opening
What you’ll get:
- Work alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
- Performance based bonus structure that is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
- Ownership over initiatives that directly solve business problems.
Alongside this you will get great other benefits such as 25 paid vacation days and market holidays, fully paid commuting expenses and health insurance, daily breakfast and lunch, training opportunities, 401(k) match up to 50% and charitable match opportunities, regular social events and clubs, and many more.
*We accept one application per role per year. If you have previously applied to the DevOps Software Engineer position during this season and have been unsuccessful, you can reapply once the next recruitment season begins in 2023.