As a global market maker pricing hundreds of thousands of interconnected financial products, Optiver’s trading activities function as a well-oiled machine – without room for error. Ensuring Optiver’s view of our trading activity, open positions and cash flows are in line with our clearers and exchanges is critical to the success of our business. To further our pursuit of being a best-in-class trading firm, we’re looking for an engineer to tackle the problem of scaling and expanding these complex and fault-tolerant systems.
As a Back Office Software Engineer at Optiver, you’ll partner with Trading, Compliance, and other cross functional teams to develop a big-picture overview of our trading function and how we interact with exchanges and clearing firms. You’ll leverage this understanding to drive local and global projects that improve, automate and scale our control systems.
Want to empower industry-leading Traders to execute high-speed strategies with full confidence in their tools?
Welcome to Optiver's Back Office Engineering and Operations Team.
WHO WE ARE:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilizing force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Chicago office offers a unique, big-city American experience. Located in the heart of the Chicago Loop, our working environment parallels the energetic city we’re immersed in. Home to CBOT, CBOE and CME, Chicago has established itself as the derivatives capital of the US, trading both options and futures. Active on several of the leading exchanges in the US market, Optiver’s Chicago office trades a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
As a Back Office Software Engineer, you’ll constantly be contributing to and improving upon our technology. You’ll get to know our tools better than anyone in the business and will be fully immersed in our system architecture.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Closely collaborate with a range of teams across Trading, Tech, and Operations to own core business problems and their associated risks
- Build robust, automated controls to monitor trading activity to ensure that trading remains in control of their positional and cash risks
- Own business processes end-to-end and ensure systems are capable of handling the unexpected without loss of critical functions
- Be at the forefront of a wide variety of new business initiatives and play a key role in protecting the sustainability of the business in a volatile trading environment
- Scale our controls to support new trading strategies and the continued growth and success of the business
WHO YOU ARE:
An Optiver Back Office Software Engineer will have:
- Strong engineering instincts and a deep understanding of computer science fundamentals
- Experience writing software in C++, C#, C, or Java
- A passion for clean code, simple well-architected systems and continuous improvement
- Ability to collaborate with developers, traders, and business operations
- A proactive problem-solving nature
- Passion for digging deep into problems and owning every aspect of a process
- A competitive hunger to perform at your very best and constantly push your limits
- A team-player mentality: you are collaborative but do not need to be micro-managed
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
- Training, mentorship and continuous learning and development opportunities
- Performance-based bonus that is unmatched anywhere in the industry
- Great secondary benefits, including 25 paid vacation days
- Fully paid first-class commuting expenses and health insurance
- Daily breakfast and lunch facilities
- Regular social events, clubs and Friday afternoon drinks (COVID-19 restrictions permitting)
- The chance to work alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 countries
HOW TO APPLY & LOCAL PRIVACY STATEMENT
Are you interested in joining one of the most dynamic and exciting teams in the country?
Apply directly via the form below for the position of Back Office Software Engineer. Should there be a potential match, a member from our recruitment team will be in touch.
As an intentionally flat organization, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.
Please note, this is for experienced applications only. If you're interested in graduate and intern positions, please instead apply to our 2023 Graduate Software Engineer or 2023 Software Engineer Intern opportunties.