Trading Systems Support Engineer
WHO WE ARE:
Optiver is a proprietary trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
As a member of the Sydney Night Trading Production Engineering team at Optiver, you'll be working with passionate and curious colleagues who thrive on solving complex problems. Our industry is fast moving and innovative, and so are we. As a Trading Systems Support Engineer, you’ll ensure our low-latency trading system never misses a great trade. You’ll support our trading system as part of a global team, ensuring trading is done safely. You’ll co-ordinate incidents, deep diving into technical issues to understand why things break, driving change to ensure we don’t see the same issue twice, and automating away manual tasks.
- Monitor and support the trading platform, owning the responsibility of ensuring trading activities are conducted safely and under control.
- Coordinate and manage incidents across the environment and own the post-incident follow up.
- You’ll serve as a check-and-balance against the development teams, using data to identify where our biggest operational problems are.
- Investigate, troubleshoot and resolve issues that arise from production environment.
- Continuously drive improvement in the trading platform in a wide range of areas, including performance, capacity, monitoring and deployment.
- Automate manual workflows while maintaining safe control.
- Support new market expansion with a 15:00-23:00 shift rotation.
WHO YOU ARE:
- You have solid experience in a hands-on support role (L2/L3) supporting complex distributed systems on Linux, preferably in the financial industry.
- You are systematic and thorough in the way you operate and drive to identify improvements in the systems you manage.
- You have a good understanding of networking, build & deployment and version control.
- You have experience reading code and can develop basic Python or shell scripts to help with automation and analysis.
- You have experience in managing production incidents in a fast-paced environment.
WHAT YOU'LL GET:
- The chance to start your career working alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
Alongside this you will get great secondary benefits such as 25 paid vacation days, fully paid first-class commuting expenses, training opportunities, discounts on health insurance, breakfast and lunch facilities, sports and leisure activities, Friday afternoon drinks and even weekly in-house chair massages. Being highly international, we are accustomed to guiding expats through their relocation, offering competitive relocation packages and providing visa sponsorship where necessary.
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.