Optiver’s industry leading proprietary trading systems depend on reliable and scalable networks to power 50+ exchanges around the world. As a Network Engineer, you’ll have a unique opportunity to collaborate with Developers and Traders to optimize network designs and solve complex problems that make a direct impact to our business.
From day one you’ll play a key role in our Network Engineering team and will focus on the build and growth, daily operations, troubleshooting and monitoring of our globally distributed network. If you’re looking to work in a challenging international environment and have a passion for solving problems, then you could be the Network Engineer we’re looking for.
WHO WE ARE:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilizing force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Optiver’s bespoke infrastructure requires diverse network engineering experience: from low-latency, data center and WAN technologies to enterprise security. This role includes the following responsibilities:
- Identify, design and architect network system optimizations;
- Assist with planned maintenance (migrations, expansions, hardware and software upgrades);
- Provide technical expertise and support to a high frequency trading floor in a competitive market-making environment;
- Ensure all aspects of our WAN network link together across our global data centers and colocations;
- Contribute to capacity planning and traffic flow optimization;
- Automate and eliminate manual elements of our network infrastructure;
- Play a role in rebuilding our LAN network and redesign our Data Center network;
WHO YOU ARE:
- Strong network performance monitoring and troubleshooting skills and knowledge of network capacity planning;
- Confident with Python scripting for automation;
- Experience working across LAN and global WAN networks;
- Comfortable working in a multi-vendor environment (Cisco, Arista, Palo Alto);
- Experience with low-latency networking;
- Familiar with network transport protocols (TCP/UDP), routing protocols (such as OSPF, BGP) and network protocols (such as Multicast, Spanning Tree);
- Experience with security products and firewalls;
- Confident with a variety of network monitoring and alerting tools;
- Thorough in your approach to documentation;
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with configuration management tooling functions;
- Experience with time series databases & centralized logging solutions.
WHAT YOU'LL GET:
Secondary benefits include 25 paid vacation days in year one, fully paid first-class commuting expenses, training opportunities, discounts on health insurance, breakfast and lunch facilities, sports and leisure activities, Friday afternoon drinks and even weekly in-house chair massages.
Being highly international, we are accustomed to guiding expats through their relocation, offering competitive relocation packages and providing visa sponsorship where necessary.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply directly via the form below for the position of Network Engineer. Please provide us with a CV and letter of motivation in English. If you have any questions feel free to contact our Recruiter Ruby Mulvaney via [email protected]. Please note, we cannot accept applications via email for data protection reasons.
Kindly note that we do not require any assistance from third-parties including agencies in the recruitment of this role.
As an intentionally flat organization, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.