Optiver’s industry leading proprietary trading systems depend on reliable and scalable networks to power 50+ exchanges around the world. As a Network Engineer, you’ll have a unique opportunity to collaborate with Developers and Traders to optimise network designs and solve complex problems that make a direct impact to our business.
From day one you’ll play a key role in our Network Engineering team and will focus on the build and growth, daily operations, troubleshooting and monitoring of our globally distributed network. If you’re looking to work in a challenging international environment and have a passion for solving problems, then you could be the Network Engineer we’re looking for.
WHO WE ARE:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Optiver’s bespoke infrastructure requires diverse network engineering experience: from low-latency, data centre and WAN technologies to enterprise security. You can expect the following responsibilities:
- Deploy, monitor, troubleshoot and manage our network infrastructure
- Identify, recommend and implement network system optimizations
- Assist with planned maintenances (migrations, expansions, hardware and software upgrades)
- Provide technical expertise and support to a high frequency trading floor in a competitive market-making environment
- Ensure all aspects of our WAN network link together across our global data center presence
- Build new connectivity between our data centers
- Contribute to capacity planning and traffic flow optimization
- Contribute towards building our automated network provisioning
- Tackle technical debt while removing complexity
- Play a role in rebuild our LAN network and redesign our Data Center network
WHO YOU ARE:
- Strong network and performance monitoring skills and knowledge of network capacity planning
- Experience working across LAN and global WAN networks
- Cisco and Arista network equipment experience ideal, although we will consider other vendors
- Ideally experience with low-latency networking
- Experience troubleshooting network transport protocols – TCP/UDP
- Deep understanding and experience with routing protocols (such as OSPF, BGP) and network protocols (such as Multicast, Spanning Tree)
- Experience with security products and firewalls
- Networking monitoring and alerting systems experience
- A belief that good documentation helps successful project delivery
- A drive for improvement and motivation to push through friction
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience building Python tools for infrastructure automation;
- Experience with configuration management
- Experience with time series databases & centralised logging solutions
WHAT YOU'LL GET:
- The chance to start your career working alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
- Our performance based bonus structure is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
Alongside this you will get great secondary benefits such as 25 paid vacation days, fully paid first-class commuting expenses, training opportunities, discounts on health insurance, breakfast and lunch facilities, sports and leisure activities, Friday afternoon drinks and even weekly in-house chair massages. Being highly international, we are accustomed to guiding expats through their relocation, offering competitive relocation packages and providing visa sponsorship where necessary.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply directly via the form below for the position of Network Engineer. Please provide us with a CV and letter of motivation in English. Applications without a letter of motivation will not be reviewed. When we think there is a potential match, you will hear from us sooner than you expect. If you have any questions feel free to contact our Recruiter Ruby Mulvaney via [email protected]. Please note, we cannot accept applications via email for data protection reasons.
Kindly note that we do not require any assistance from third-parties including agencies in the recruitment of this role.
As an intentionally flat organization, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.