Hardware Engineers at Optiver build hardware-based trading systems ranging from low latency algorithms to high bandwidth computation. They are responsible for owning all aspects of the development process from ideation to implementation creating bespoke solutions to our complex trading problems. Their systems have little room for failure which add to the stability of the market, not detract from it. Working in close collaboration with software engineers and traders, hardware engineers deeply understand our trading problems and create dynamic, well-architected systems that make an impact in a matter of days and weeks rather than months and years.
Technology at Optiver:
At Optiver we pride ourselves on being real engineers, not just coders. Our engineers work closely with traders to identify the business problems we face and determine how they should be solved. We apply a disciplined and scientific approach. We engineer simple, well-architected solutions that meet the dynamic needs of our traders. Our passion is to solve problems which really matter to the business, and we take pride in the quality of our solutions.
What you’ll do:
- Accelerate network infrastructure and trading system components with high speed hardware designs.
- Research new low-latency techniques and platforms and identify opportunities for integration with our trading system.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team of traders, software developers, and infrastructure engineers.
- Leverage the best hardware available or build in-house versions to ensure our FPGAs can interface with cutting edge server hardware.
- Manage relationships with 3rd party vendors.
What you'll need:
- A Bachelor’s degree in CE, EE, CS, or related technical field.
- Experience designing, coding, testing, and verifying FPGAs and/or ASICs.
- Experience coding in VHDL, Verilog, SystemVerilog as well as C or C++.
- Experience with RTL synthesis, writing timing, area, and other relevant constraints.
- Experience with digital simulators and self-checking test benches.
- Experience supporting post-silicon bring-up and debugging a plus.
- Ability to work closely with software developers to rapidly deliver integrated systems.
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 70+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Based in ‘The Domain’ neighborhood, Optiver’s Austin office serves as the firm’s innovation nucleus, with a strong focus on quantitative research, software and hardware engineering initiatives. With tech innovation an integral part of our core business, the booming city proved an ideal backdrop for our heavy investment into machine learning, research infrastructure and big data computing. What’s more, with world-class music, food and art scenes, as well as countless scenic outdoor activities, the quality of life for Austin Optiverians is second to none.